The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Thursday, June 8, 2017

NYC

As expected, I didn't get the chance to see my host in the morning before he departed in his 8 mile bike commute to work. The couple from Seattle also staying there woke later than me, but got out earlier because I took a little time to call Rachael, which I hadn't done in far too long. I didn't get on the road until after 8:30, which I figured was more than fine with less than 70 miles for the day.

...It was a harder day than I expected. It was just so urban with so much traffic, my route so meandering and hard to follow, and lots of short, but steep little hills. Immediately upon biking across the bridge out of town I was at a confluence of highways and interstate that was an absolute nightmare, and for not the last time in the day, I had to ride some sidewalk. For most of the day, I couldn't begin to tell you my route. Google had me winding about every which direction, zigging and zagging, I wasn't even sure which way I was going most the time. My host had given me a paper print out of his route, which was mostly Google's but with some slight alterations, and maybe had I followed that it would have been easier, but paper can't give turn by turn directions, and while I had looked over the map, it was hard to remember any specific turns. Even with Google I ended up getting off route a couple times because I would either not hear it right over the heavy traffic, or the roads would meet in such confusing ways I wouldn't know which way was what. I found myself stressed much of the time. I had to take deep breaths and find my center...while of course still having sharp focus on my mirror to see if anyone was about to cream me and on the bumpy road ahead.

At least moments of calm along quiet side roads or getting to stop and see the ocean punctuated the generally stressful ride and gave me a chance to relax. Interestingly, it was about the time I got into New York state, out of Connecticut, that it felt like things improved for a time. I was in traffic, but the speed had slowed, the Greenway signs clearer, less turns to be made, and the flow just felt better. Or perhaps I had just hit my stride, couldn't say. It was all good until Google, and the Greenway, had me going right down Main Street in New Rochelle. The Greenway told me to stay left, largely in a less used turn lane, since the faster traffic took right, I think, and while it made sense, it felt utterly surreal being on that side of the street. I think the Greenway must have wanted me to get off sooner than I did because I can't imagine it would have me on for as many blocks as I was (as it usually only routes very briefly on big streets), but I saw no sign, and Google wanted me there. So I braved its madness for some time until getting off onto another road, messing up a turn, having to turn around, and then finally getting to some nice side roads. And not long after, I rode down a dead end road and onto a forested trail, and all the stress melted into the green. The woods didn't last long, but trail continued much of the way from there, with plenty of scenery along the way. I was amazed at all the green space, even along a trail that ran in between a parkway (which annoyingly construction on the trail forced me onto the side of for a little while). Then more green space in the Bronx Park (where after a long period of frustration I finally found a restroom).

I messaged my host to let him know I was charging my phone so it wouldn't die (pictures and turn by turn directions all day) and that I had only 5 miles left. And then I messed up. I listened to Google. I took the direct route. When I can see clearly now I should have kept going north on trail. Google took me right to Fordham Road, a major drive, and I mean major, busy, commercial, and utterly overwhelming for a Nebraska boy. Cars parked on the bus lane, they wove in and out, there was a sea of honking, my three feet clearance was ignored, riding sidewalk was impossible with all the people on it, sensory overload everywhere. I walked. I couldn't do anything else. Much of the time I walked, for many blocks, just staring at all the sheer humanity around me. Until I found an opening and forced myself back on the road...and then over a very worrisome bridge I probably shouldn't have crossed. Then I walked some more. Then I came to a park and took a path that Google suggested that ended up having me hauling my bike up many, many a stair, panting and sweating by the end. And then, then I arrived, more than an hour later for my five miles. And you know what? In retrospect, I would take back none of it. I saw New York, not just the trails (which I will stick to almost entirely today), but the city beyond them.

My host led me and my bike inside his apartment, got me showered, and then stuffed on pasta, ice cream, and beer. We chatted about touring and about climate change, about the role cyclists moving at their slower pace and actually being inside their environment (as opposed to the conditioned space in a car) can play in observing their environment and the changes occuring in it, about the decline of rural America and its influence in the election and the way it's easy for a big city person not to see until they get out to those towns on bike, about the need to wake society up to its realities and our mortality. It was good. One of many honest and open discussions I've had this trip. He also introduced me to an app called iseechange that is trying to collect experiences and data on changes people are seeing in their environment and climate. And I recommend anyone reading this to check it out.

After a short walk through the nearby botanical gardens, and another call to Rachael, it was soon time for bed. And now today, it is well time to get ready to hit Manhattan.


























No comments:

Post a Comment