The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Boston to Providence

I took yesterday off. My friends, David and Annie, brought me into downtown Boston to see the historical part of the city I wouldn't have seen otherwise because it's not the best part for biking. The three of us, along with their adorable corgi (who garnered attention absolutely everywhere he went), walked much of the Freedom Trail, seeing the Commons, State House, the old cemetery where the famous folks are buried, King's Chapel, Quincy Market where there were Pride events going on, and over to the aquarium. I even got to see some of Google Cambridge and its incredible view of the city, as David works there. That evening I got to be part of the graduation party for Annie, celebrating that she is officially a doctor, alongside her other friends and family, with great food, and a scarily large cake. One of her friends was even kind enough to indulge me in bicycle talk much of the night, making me feel less out of place in a crowd with a high proportion of Harvard alumni. It was a very good rest day.

Today, it was back to the real world...you know, of biking between cities every day. Annie made me a wonderful breakfast in the morning (not to mention eating leftover cake). It turned out that she and David were going down to Providence today themselves to see their yet unfinished home there (where I had been going to stay with them, until the realization it would not be done in time). So, after a brief excursion to see the impressive, unused third floor of her mother's house, it was farewell for now, to see each other once more in the afternoon.

I was told there wasn't much to see between there and Providence. There wasn't. There was a conservation park area that was pretty. That was about it. But at least I biked on mostly side roads and highways with good shoulders and it was not at all unpleasant getting the short, sub 50 miles, to Providence. There was even a nice bike trail along the river for some of it close to the city.

As I stopped to contact David and Annie to let them know I was close and see if they were available, a cyclist came up to me and asked if I was touring. He was curious about my route and suggested a completely different one he had taken himself (ferrying to Long Island, then ferrying to Delaware, and getting driven over the bridge to Norfolk, as a way to avoid most the cities). He even gave me his contact info in case I need help routing. It was an interesting run in, but I am locked into my route by hosts I have contacted and seeing my aunt, and probably wouldn't change my route anyways.

I met up with David and Annie in the early afternoon at their yet unfinished house, just a couple miles from my host for the night. I helped them with a little rearranging of the garage so they could get the car Annie had just got inside (though the dealer was late to deliver it). We went for pizza after at a cool local joint. Then after that it was time to say goodbye for real.

I met up with my host, dropped off my stuff, he got some beer for us to take with, then biked back over to the festival in the park nearby, where he had come from to meet me. We locked up our bikes to the fence and went onto the green where many people were gathered, vendors were set up, and music was playing. ...of course, it wasn't long until I felt uncomfortable with my bike away from me, even locked up, and seeing other people with their bikes, decided to have Bree with me in the park. There was some impressive Algonquin music, and marching band music, and even both together. With the rain coming, the event started to break up, and we departed.

A couple of his friends came over and we all had dinner together, rice with kale and tempe curry, along with one more beer (getting me to a solid three for the night). It was an interesting night with some unique conversations. I had a lot of fun.






































No comments:

Post a Comment