The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Monday, June 12, 2017

Down Delaware

Today I made my Delmarva decision definite. I spent the day biking down through Delaware. And despite the horrible heat, it was a very enjoyable day. I was surprised by how much I like Delaware. It's rural, has great bike infrastructure, lovely scenery, astoundingly flat. In many ways it reminds me of a slightly nicer version of Nebraska.

I got up around 7, stuffed some trail mix in my face while getting around, and was ready to hit the road a little before 8. My host was still in bed, and while I felt bad leaving without saying goodbye, I desperately wanted to get some miles down before it got blisteringly hot. Thankfully, right as I was coming back to shut the door, he had come downstairs, and I was able to tell him farewell. I had thought I would be camping tonight (which I'm glad I'm not considering everywhere around seems to be $40 and up), but I found a host last minute, a few miles east of the little town of Greenwood, a little more inland than I meant to be originally, but worth it to get out of the heat.

I backtracked a bit, was on a trail for a short while, then hit the bike-friendly, sometimes coastal, and low traffic route 9. I saw big vessels in the distance on the river in Delaware City. I biked over a very big bridge, taking a moment to stop on the elevated sidewalk to take it in and take pictures, a decision that would have been inadvisable anywhere else but was fine here with literally not a car in sight (and that's with an ability to see a very long ways). It was breathtaking. And then I went through some beautiful marshland wildlife preserves. I rescued a turtle from the road there, carrying it across to the side it was headed much too slowly to, though it didn't seem particularly grateful, being more than ready to bite me if given the opportunity, which it did not have, as I smartly picked it up from behind.

Then I made my way back inland off of the quiet 9 and onto the main drive of 13, where I was for most the rest of the day. Though there was plenty of traffic, the shoulder was nice and wide, and at several points there would even be a designated bike lane when the shoulder became turn lane. Delaware has some astoundingly good bike infrastructure. I took a little side trip through Dover to see some of the town and avoid the traffic for awhile. I stood in front of a sprinkler outside a church and it was amazing. I drank through all my water (having wisely filled my CamelBak with ice before leaving to have it cold for quite awhile), by that time, so I found a convenience store, bought some stuff, realized there was no bathroom, then found one at the laundromat out back to fill up from.

After Dover there was about 30 miles left to go, and very little to see. It was flat, so I at least made good time. By a little after 3 I had arrived, greeted outside by my hosts' dog, Sixty. They have a nice little cabin (that even has an AC unit!) that I'm in for the night. I got some time to shower and relax, and then I went into the main house for dinner with them around 4:30. After a good meal and conversation, the wife needed to go to get some sleep, because her nursing job has her staying up all night taking care of a man in a mostly vegetative state, so it was back to the cabin to relax for the night. It's been nice having some downtime on my own.

Tomorrow it's back over to the ocean and into Maryland.



























No comments:

Post a Comment