The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Friday, June 23, 2017

Myrtle

Having gone further than I had planned yesterday, I was able to have some time to relax and enjoy the hotel room this morning. I watched some television, finished my blog entry from yesterday, relished in the luxury of my queen bed. I went downstairs and got some breakfast, loading up on just about everything they had available. Then after a little more time lounging in the hotel room, I decided it was time to hit the road.

I didn't have far to go, about 50 miles, but the wind fought me all day, making it much harder going than it could have been, moving far slower than yesterday. There was no rain today, though it almost would have been a relief in the heat. I got off 17 for the start of the day, heading down to the intracoastal waterway, where a big bridge crosses to Sunset Beach, then over to Calabash, meeting up with 17 again only after crossing the border into South Carolina. That time off the highway was the nicest I would have all day.

Because from there it was heavy traffic with no shoulder and nothing to see but hotels and shops and mini golf and other touristy stuff I've already seen in every other tourist beach town on the way here, and no real chance to even look at any of it at that, because I had to focus all my attention on all the traffic. It wasn't fun. For most of the time there was no alternative to riding on the highway, none at all. Nothing about going through North Myrtle Beach was fun. I was in a high state of stress, and I found myself pulling off several times when there was opportunity in order to ease my nerves. Once in Myrtle Beach proper there did end up being bike lanes to get me down to Ocean Boulevard and bike lanes for most of it as well. But condos and hotels blocked out all view of the beach, and again, all the boardwalk stuff just felt like I was in a recurring dream, having seen it all before. The wind was fiercely kicking my butt, and I just wanted to reach the end and be done.

And eventually I was, I was at the State Park. I went into the office to pay, only to be told I needed to go to the Ranger Station for that. Conveniently, a ranger was on his way there, and he led the way while I followed. I tried not to have an obvious look of dismay when I was told it would cost me $48 for a primitive overflow spot, with no electric, away from the wifi, and in an area I had to worry even more about the venomous copperheads and rascally raccoons around here. Tourist trap town. That's all I can say.

I lie here roasting in my tent, waiting for the sun to set, unable to stand a moment more outside being bitten to death by mosquitoes. May the night pass quickly, unplagued by raccoons.























1 comment:

  1. Love following your adventures and glad j you've gone with the venerable blog format with accordingly long narrative description. May your fortune be good tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete