The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pit Stop

That's what I decided, to make myself feel better about it, that I had a pit stop yesterday. The pit crew came, bailed me out, got me refitted, and sent me on my way. I got penalized 20 miles for it, but got set back on track. I'm still the racecar driver, still the one going the distance, just needed help from maintenance, like everyone does at times.
...Nobody ever appreciates maintenance nearly enough. The pit crew are the real heroes you know; the drivers are just the damn fools. Thanks again, dad. You're really the best. And thanks to Shane too, for moral support. Because of both of you, it was -10 mile day, and lessons learned, rather than the end of the road. I have people who believe in me more than I believe in myself. I may be solo biking and camping every day, but I'm not remotely alone. Everyone ought to take a moment to marvel at their phone, that little device that sends and receives radio waves and in so doing connects you to anyone and everyone, no matter how far away. ...Well, okay, it's still light speed, not some quantum teleportation instant transmission of information, so not if they're REALLY far away, but in relevant geocentric terms you know what I mean.
I was awoken at 1 am to the sound of a thunder clap. I wasn't prepared for it to rain. I rushed out of my tent, put the cover over my bike, took off the wooden frame that holds my solar battery, and ducked back inside just as the downpour started. I weathered the storm okay, but I did stupidly have a little tarp sticking out to allow a small channel of water under the tent. It wasn't too bad though.
As I dried out my tarp and tent in the morning, a nice young lady came by walking her dog. To my amazement, she offered to make me breakfast. I ended up eating scrambled eggs and cooked veggies in the house of a nice old gentleman prepared by this 19 year old young lady... who was pregnant and fairly fresh out of 5 years of juvie, all of which she told me freely. I'm quickly learning that good, friendly, helpful people come in all forms, having all different circumstances, troubles, ideology, what have you. It's a refreshing thing to accept. Whatever she spent her years in juvie for, or the circumstances of her being unexpectedly pregnant so young, right now, right then, she was just the nice person who made me breakfast out of the kindness of her heart.
Thanks to enjoying a nice talk and generously prepared breakfast by these two good people, I got started way late at 11. But I made good time, going over 60 miles, and taking a little time to see the national forest. I was going more uphill than not, as confirmed by someone checking for me, but I felt like I was going downhill most the time. I think I'm finally acclimating to the exercise of extended daily riding. It was a gorgeous day, and through pretty territory. The sandhills snuck up on me. And I loved seeing the Nebraska National Forest. It was strange having the stark contrast of hills of sand on one side of the highway and a big forest (which is of course all man made) on the other.
I'm glad I haven't given up. I'm glad I'm still out here. I'm currently in Thedford. I plan go hit up the pub. And then I intend to be lazy, and throw out my sleeping bag and sleep in this nice shelter they have in their public park, rather than bothering with my tent and more rain. It's good to take ad vantage of every convenience I get.
I have plenty of pictures to follow eventually.









No comments:

Post a Comment