The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Thursday, July 6, 2017

That Heat Though

My host slept in this morning, which I more than understood considering the lack of sleep she's apparently been getting lately. I waited a little while, but then decided to get around on my own. I ate some of my Belvita bars and granola for breakfast, packed up, and headed out the door around 8. I sent a message a little ways down the road explaining I wanted to let her sleep and apologizing for not saying goodbye.

I spent most my time biking on Highway 1 again today. I was right along the Indian River, with view of lots of little islands just off the shore. Again, the problem of being on the opposite side of the highway made it hard to get any photos. I dared one trip to the other side when there was a break in traffic to get a few shots. I went over a beautiful bridge into Sebastian, going back onto the pedestrian sidewalk to take some pictures. Sebastian seemed like a cute little town, and I appreciated the "Beyond Useless" antique shop.

At Wabasso I decided to bike over the bridge and get back onto A1A for awhile, to have a little time with the actual ocean. I snapped a surprisingly decent over the shoulder, not looking, picture on the high rise bridge (because there was no stopping safely). There was little to see on the highway itself, just endless palm trees and pricy property. But just off the highway on either side were lovely parks and beaches.

But that heat though... I felt like I didn't stop to see nearly enough, because the heat was just really wearing on me. It wasn't any hotter today than it was yesterday, but this same brutal heat day after day is getting to me. The heat feels like it pushes down oppressively on me, sapping my energy. Even with my balaclava, my cheeks are  awfully burnt. If I park my bike for any time at all not in the shade, my saddle is so hot it feels like it could burn my butt. All the food I carry with me is disgusting mush. Sweat seems almost useless in the humidity. It's just...so hot.

I crossed another bridge with a beautiful view, back to highway 1. I could have taken another bridge, one I could see in the distance from the first, to get back on A1A along the ocean. But I just couldn't bring myself to care to in the heat. I found a convenience store and downed an ice cream bar and a whole bottle of Brisk half and half.

Then on a whim, I decided that I was going to turn and head over to see the Savannas Preserve. I felt like I had denied myself something by staying on highway 1, and that I needed to justify it somehow, and get a reminder that I'm a tourist, here to see things, not just slog out the miles to get to the end. Of course, this put me directly against that East Wind, and I immediately regretted my choice, as I was definitely slogging it out then. But it was worth it. The preserve was nice to see and had an excellent bike trail along it, apparently part of the East Coast Greenway. I even got to see a group of three cranes as I crossed over a little bridge along the trail.

Then I would my way back to highway 1, crossed over another bridge, and came into Stuart. All my efforts to find hosting tonight had come to not. It was another 15 miles to a campground, that would run me $30ish, and I just couldn't bring myself to want to camp in the heat. I sat around on a park bench waiting for the off chance a potential host might get back to me. Then I finally said the heck with it and got a hotel. I went to the adjoining bar/restaurant for dinner (discounted slightly with a stay at the hotel). And now here I sit indulging in the inanity of television. I have never toured this late in the year, and I can see why. I am not a fan of biking in this heat, day in, day out. But I am holding together, and Key West is coming.
































No comments:

Post a Comment