The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Full Reverse

It's not over until it's over. To be completely nerdy, the analogy that comes to mind is that I beat the game and now I am playing some mirror mode where everything is reversed and also harder, thanks to the tail wind turned headwind. But hey, hard days are nothing new.

I also need it noted my claim of 3700 miles in my video yesterday was erroneous. I'm not sure where my head was when I did that math. I was at 3630 miles, which, well, is not 3700. So, consider that claim corrected. Though I have cleared that 3700 as of the 80 mile day today, so I wasn't *too* far off in that remark. It was a long 80 miles against that wind, and in this heat (especially as my balaclava's face mask has  continued to tear, leaving my nose and cheeks more exposed). But it was not boring as I had feared for covering the same ground. The Keys are just as beautiful coming up as going down. And I also noticed, or at least saw closer, different things for being on the other side of the highway.

I ate breakfast (greatly disappointed the expensive hotel had cold boiled eggs rather than hot scrambled eggs as previous cheaper ones have had), reluctantly checked out, and hit the road a little after 8, biking out of Key West. I was amazed when only 30 some miles in that I had drained my CamelBak (that I had added a bunch of ice to from the ice machine to make wonderfully cold) completely dry already. I must have been drinking more than I thought. I was worried that I would be low on water right when I had to cross the seven mile bridge, but thankfully there was a convenience store just before it, where I was able to fill up, use the restroom, and get some junk food, all of which I needed.

The Seven Mile Bridge was much less exciting this time around and a lot more drudgerous, and not for having already done it, but for fighting the wind. It was a slow-going struggle, my troublesome left knee aching, and I just wanted it over. But I got over the bridge at last, straight into a rain cloud, that I was grateful to have waited over the island, as the welcome rain might have been worrisome on the bridge for its reduction in visibility. The rain didn't last long, but another cloud would bring it  I back later (funny the isolated nature of the storms here). Somehow even the rain was barely cooling, as it felt like I was swimming already in the humidity. I struggled today. But sure enough, mile after mile, I made my way back here to Islamorada. I checked into my motel (not much more than a campground around here) at about 4:30, and then collapsed in the AC. I looked around for what was available for food, and discovered there's a restaurant a stone's throw away with a vegan sautee and a happy hour with cheap beer going until 6. So I hastened to get around to take advantage of said happy hour. And because Taryn had told me I had to get key lime pie while I'm in the Keys, and I had not yet done so, I got myself one expensive, but good, piece of pie for dessert. And now, I relax for the night with some mind numbing television. Just two days left to go.




























No comments:

Post a Comment