The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Friday, July 7, 2017

Another Sunny Day in Florida

When I came down for my complimentary breakfast this morning, I was the only person getting any, save for the staff. It felt oddly like I was intruding on the staff break room as opposed to getting a free (well, included) meal at a hotel. But that just meant I got to stuff myself with eggs and cereal and baked goods while listening to an amusing discussion about driving requirements. Afterwards I returned to my room and lounged for a little while. Before leaving sometime after 9, I called the Key West Express about taking my bike aboard the ferry to get to Fort Myers. The lady I talked to was absurdly rude to me and almost no help on answering any of my questions. It reminded me of the calls I made to the RV parks, and how those ladies were the same way to me. They called me "Sir", often and without fail, but with a tone that implied "Fuck you," before its every use.

I also texted my host to ask when he would be home, but got no reply. I should explain that my host is actually the roommate of the one I contacted, who is in Portland at the moment, where he participated in the National naked ride, and I hadn't actually had any contact with said roommate yet. I figured he would get back to me eventually, and I ought to get started on my day.

I promptly got off 1 and onto A1A, with its lesser traffic and more scenery. Not long in I got off onto a lovely bike trail through Sea ranch State Preserve Park. It was nice, but I found myself a little concerned that Google didn't know the trail existed, and that I would end up dead ending somewhere. But, all to soon, it connected me back with road. I actually got off A1A for awhile longer then, along a side road, then over a bridge onto Jupiter Island. The trees, laurels I believe, on the way to cross the bridge were incredible. The trees of all kinds have been some of my favorite parts of the South.

There was plenty of beach to see along Beach Road on the island, plenty more once I got back onto A1A for that matter. As I stood on one beach, I heard the rumble of thunder, and I hoped beyond hope the dark cloud would bring me some rain. I wasn't dying in the heat as much as yesterday, but it was still brutal, and the rain would be a blessing. But alas, I got no more than sprinkles.

I feel silly in retrospect that I didn't go into John D MacArthur Beach Park all because of a $2 charge. ...But I have no cash left (something I need to remedy), and would have felt awfully awkward if they didn't take cards and I couldn't pay. As I neared West Palm Beach, my host's roommate still hadn't gotten back to me. So, while stopped at a park, I texted my host (the one in Portland) to make certain I had the right number. He said I did but that he would pass on the message to him. I biked along Flagler Drive, which was nice, save that construction forced me off of it for awhile. Once I was able to get back on, I could see why the construction was necessary, since the road was awfully rough. But for a time at least there was a nice boardwalk right along the river, before I had to return to the rough road. It was then, as I drew close, that I suddenly found myself under assault. Bugs. Little black bugs. They got in-between my glasses and clip ons, filling my vision with distracting dark specks I could do nothing about. They got through my balaclava and into my nose. They drove me insane.

Around 3ish I arrived at the house, all to eager to be out of the bugs and heat. As I was greeted at the door I got told it had slipped his mind that I was coming today. There was a brief greeting, a few questions about my tour (while I vengefully smashed what bugs remained on me), then he and his friend retired to his room to play video games, and I've scarcely seen them since, just heard their combative batter with each other as they're engrossed in the game. In need of food, I decided to walk to  I get some. ...I should have biked. I'm in a suburb surrounded by water, with no sidewalk at all. It was a two mile walk, slowed drastically by long stoplights across wide, heavy trafficked roads, to get to a Wawa, just about the closest place to get anything. I got my sandwich, cookies, and giant soda I could only drink half of before feeling sick, and then walked the long way back, taking in the roadside memorials at the intersections, alongside the sports cars bolting around other cars. I am officially in the Miami Metropolitan Area, and I think I have a good taste for what is ahead, lots of urban sprawl, tons of traffic, and a structure unfriendly to pedestrians, and likely to cyclists too. But who knows, perhaps the city will surprise me, and my ride tomorrow won't be as ugly as I suspect.

































No comments:

Post a Comment