The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Friday, May 27, 2016

Westward Ho!

This was meant to be posted last night, but my data connection wasn't up to it.

I navigated my way through Sault Ste Marie and soon reached the international bridge. It was a gorgeous view of the city from atop the bridge, and I regret that I had no ability to stop and take pictures. ...I may have somewhat recklessly took a couple (very poor) ones while riding across with the old one handed point and click. The border crossing went as easily as it did getting into Canada, then there was a small toll to pay I hadn't known about (for which I was glad I had cash, since that's apparently all they'll take), and just like that I was back in the US. It's good to have cell service again. I made a slight attempt to navigate back to the water to get a view of the locks and everything from below...but realizing the trouble it looked to be with how far I had to go, I soon abandoned that quest in favor of continuing on.

I bought a little food and used the washroom (ahem, restroom, now that I'm stateside) at a gas station and then was gone from the US side of Sault Ste Marie, along a series of nice back roads. ...Headed mostly west, after all this time going east (because this trip has one convoluted route). It felt weird, but at the same time perfectly natural; after all west is the direction my first tour took me. A short while after the small town of Brimley, I was forced to get on M 28, a decently busy highway, though largely with a nice shoulder, for most the rest of my long run. It wasn't too thrilling. It's flat, lots of trees, not a lot to see. Instead of rain, there was a pervading mist, which was actually nice, as it kept me cool. The wind was against me, but not badly, and with it largely flat and cool I was able to push and make good time.

I stopped in a bar/grocery at Strongs Corners in order to use the bathroom. I bought some chips and was asked about what I was doing by the lady manning the place. I explained and her response was a bemused, rather impolite, "Weird." I asked why. She told me she would never do anything like that. And I just thought to myself, "If something is weird just because you wouldn't do it personally, the whole world must seem awfully weird to you." Right after I saw a couple women biking the other way, who said they were going around Lake Superior. I hoped in my head they would stop in at that bar.

The sky eventually cleared. Which wasn't as nice as it would seem, because then suffenly it was hot. Other than a short rest at another gas station to eat, I mostly just spent the day biking on as quick as I could. It turned out the lengthy instructions on how to get to my Warmshowers stay tonight were actually warranted. It's a complicated labyrinth of country roads in proximity to Manistique Lake. Google got me up to the mailbox (a row of them) and then thankfully my host happened to be walking down to get the mail just then and was able to direct me in. The view of the lake from here is stunning. And for yet another night I have been provided good food (an impressive curry, salad, biscuits, and pineapple upside down cake), good conversation, a shower, and a comfy bed. One of my hosts does SAG and the other is quite the tourist and has lots of stories of his many adventures all over the country. He also has toured extensively in this region all the way down to Madison and he gave me some good tips on which way to go and where to stop on the way. Despite a fairly boring road, it's been a good day. Best sleep now, as there's an even longer road tomorrow.


















No comments:

Post a Comment