The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Moving Along

I slept rather horribly in my hammock last night. I squirmed around constantly while trying to get to sleep. I couldn't get my pad, my sleeping bag, and myself all aligned properly. I felt like I was constantly going to fall out. My back got frigid. It all just felt wrong, and awoke several times to attempt in vain to make it better.

But eventually, morning came to relieve me of my attempts to sleep. I tried to curl up in a fetal position in my bag and hide from the light, but that just resulted in me almost falling out. I got around, ate a bagel and some trail mix, and went in search of water. I find a sign directing me to "drinking water" but upon filling my camelbak I discovered it was not at all the color (which is essentially none at all) that water should be. I dumped it out promptly.

I headed up to Fort Ridgely, because it felt wrong not to being so close, and also out of hope for water. No water. But the fort was cool. I happened to be there at the same time as several buses full of school kids, which meant both that there were some neat demonstrations I got to hear a little of, and that I couldn't get as close to things as I'd like as I didn't want to get in the way. I also had one of the park personnel following me about everywhere I went, as if she expected me to be some sort of predator or miscreant. I guess after a week on the road, I have that look about me? I took in stride, and figured I might as well ask a few questions about the fort if she was going to be following me anyways. It wasn't in use long, was never expected to see combat, and when it did proved poorly positoned with ravines the Sioux were able to sneak up on them by in the Dakota Wars. I didn't stay long, not wanting to look like a creepy person after all, and headed back down the bill and onward, hoping for water. The town of Fairfax wasn't far, and I was able to fill up at the park there.

It was easy going most the day. I stopped in Buffalo Lake, got me some lunch of champions, a big blueberry fritter and a Pepsi, and restocked on granola bars. I ate my food on the sidewalk right outside the store, and had a pleasant conversation with a lady who approached to ask where I was from and where I was headed. It was a little less pleasant when she told me about a friend who wrote a book about his touring experiences and how he'd been robbed and assaulted. I said I didn't think that was the common experience touring. People are generally kind.

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful. I made good time most the day. Though I did about ten miles of gravel which were a fair bit slower. I really don't like gravel, I just do it when the situation calls for it. You never know what you're going to get with gravel roads, from one mile to the next. I was on some today that was well trodden and easy as could be, and others that were so fresh I was struggling the whole time not to sink. It can be nice to be out on a gravel road feeling truly alone and away from most any traffic, and I see why it appeals so much to some. But the stress my hands, the high focus I have to keep on the road right ahead, getting everything dirty, how rough I imagine it is on equipment, and when cars do pass, having that cloud of dust in my face...it's just not my thing. I also got chased by three farm dogs at one point. I got off the bike to keep them from coming after me. And a lady from the farm came out on her golf cart, grabbed one by the scruff and told me that he was the leader, the others wouldn't follow as long as I had him and that I should get on my bike and go while she held him back. I did as instructed, and sure enough the other two didn't chase. It was kind of funny really.

I got on the Luce Line Trail toward the end of the day. It's gorgeous. I'm excited to be biking mostly it for the distance tomorrow. ...Minneapolis! I'm almost there. I'll be seeing Sheena soon. I can't believe I've been on the road a week already...and at the same time it feels like there was never a time I wasn't.

I got in early enough to have plenty of time to mess around with getting my hammock, as well as my tarp over it, set up at hopefully a better angle, distance, what have you. It's not perfect, and I'm still uncertain I shall like it, but I think I shall sleep better than last night.

At least in regards to the hammock... As I've been writing this I was interrupted by the homeless gentleman living in a little pop out trailer in the space next to me. He came over, ducked down under my rain tarp and started asking me about what I was doing and why (having already done so earlier), and upon saying repeatedly that he would leave me be, he would then duck back down and keep asking questions. He then told me some uncomfortable things about being special, and asked to take my picture. I told him he could in the morning if he wanted to. He said he'd leave me be...then went back over to his trailer, and snapped a couple pictures with flash anyways. I think he bears no ill intent and seems quite friendly, really, but I also don't think he's terribly stable and it does unnerve me a little. I'm not using my earplugs or sleep mask tonight.


























No comments:

Post a Comment