The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Easy Going

I woke up late this morning, even without  considering that I've changed time zones and it's now an hour later for everyone else than whatever I think it is. But I got around and walked with my host to a hole in the wall breakfast place, as we had made plans to do yesterday night. She insisted I get the pancakes, and also that I got them with strawberries, and I complied. It was a good breakfast. Then after we got back, she asked if I could help with the trash quick, which I of course said I would. Though I admit it wasn't quite what I expected. We hauled the couple barrels she had to the curb, which is apparently the extent of trash they will pick up in Thunder Bay. But then there was bag after bag more, and other miscellaneous junk besides, which we carried down and stuffed in the space under the outside stairs for someone else she was paying to haul it to the dump. I didn't really get it. But then I didn't have to.

Shortly after that, I was off. Thankfully, navigating my way out of Thunder Bay was far easier than into it. I was on a nice, somewhat quiet road close to the lake for awhile, and then on highway for the rest of the day. It was easy going. The wind wasn't too strong and it was on my side, and while there were some climbs here and there, they weren't anything particularly tough. But it was also dull. I didn't see much of anything. The good views I had of the lake always seemed to come when I was rushing down a hill. And most the day I was well away from it. Mostly I saw trees, marshes, construction, and quarries. It was also very dusty, and I found myself riding with the mask of my Buff balaclava up most the day.

Once I got here to my stay in Nipigon, a very cool spot above a bakery and cafe owned by the same couple, I learned from my host that "Ontario is the land of secrets" and that just off the highway on the way up here there's a waterfall, some cool trails, and some scenic overlooks, it's just that none of it is marked. Go figure. If only I'd talked to him Before biking that stretch. But it's good to know though that the region is not as boring as it seems from the highway.

The La Luna Cafe, above which I am staying, is really neat. The building is over 100 years old. The upstairs is from the 50s or 60s, and was originally a number of very tight dorm rooms. Daniel and Caitlin bought the place last year and have really renovated it and made it nice, currently in the process of fixing up the upstairs living space. They're doing all the construction themselves, learning as they go.

Daniel is preparing for a race on Monday, and he took off from the cafe for a bit to go for a run. I went with. He asked me if I didn't want my bike to go with him, but I insisted I was done biking for the day, and wanted the chance to run. He took me along a very neat, though also muddy and rough at parts, trail along the river. The warmup jog we did through that was fun. Then he started his actual training run, giving me plenty of warning he's a real runner. ...I kept up (well...almost) for the first ten minute stretch (of five), then knew as we did a short rest up jog that I didn't possibly have another in me. I could make excuses for myself that I'd already biked 70 miles today...but frankly it wouldn't have mattered. I am not a runner, as much as I find it a nice indulgence now and again. But it was good, and I am more than glad that I did it,  and that I had the fun of failing to keep pace. I made my own way back, and did my bike maintenance while he finished up his run. Then I took a much needed shower, followed by much needed laundry.

I hung out in the bakery for awhile. I got a cookie. I watched a pizza get burnt (which we would later throw toppings on and eat). And I got to see how Daniel and Caitlin have a rapport with all their clients (this being a small town after all). It was nice. Then as the sun was getting low, I got invited on a "walk" with them and their dog, Polar...which was actually more of a hike, through major mud and woods and up a hill to get a scenic overlook of the town. It was a little irritating to get so muddy without warning when I had just got all my clothes clean. But it was a fun hike, good talk, and a gorgeous view, so well worth it. Though it's a shame the fading light wasn't enough to take any decent pictures by. And it was a little dark to be making an unfamiliar descent for my taste, but nothing too rough. And now after having a little food on the return, it is definitely time for bed.



















No comments:

Post a Comment