The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Thursday, June 19, 2014

New Wheels

Having new tires feels almost like having new legs. When you're riding, your bike is like an extension of your body. The bicyclist is part man, part machine. I started out this trip with more focus on caring for my relatively new bike than myself. When I had my fall way back in Valentine, blood pouring down my arm, the question was, "But my bike is okay, right?" Then somewhere down the line I got to caring properly for myself...and somehow I forgot to take care of my bike. I can make all the excuses I want about listening to that bike mechanic who said it was all fine and would last to Seattle no problem, but I knew I needed a new tire, and I neglected the needs of my bike for too long.
But I messed up, lived, learned, and have now gotten over it. This morning I was fed a hearty breakfast of eggs and pancakes and sent on my way with a bright new outlook. And today went well. It was only 45 miles over easy terrain with great weather, and I was in good spirits the whole time. I followed my host's advice and took the scenic and low trafficked highway 30 with a beautiful view of the mountains for about half the way, rather than immediately jumping on the interstate, and it was definitely a nice ride. The interstate had only one big climb, which I stubbornly insisted on doing on my highest gear as a challenge to myself, and then it was almost all downhill from there.
Of course, because it always does, and it surely must, one plan did totally fall apart. A motorcyclist in Haines who I had previously passed by in Baker City stopped to talk to me, and in the course of our conversation he told me that the interstate from La Grande to Pendleton, my originally planned next stop tomorrow with a host, is under construction and closed to bicyclists. And guess what? There are no good alternate routes, none that aren't way more mountainous and far out of the way.
It was a problem for sure, and a spirit dampener, but I swore to worry about it later when I could actually address the matter, and just enjoy today's ride. I think I did a good job of doing just that. And sure enough, upon arriving here in La Grande at my home for the night, once again the road provided for me, or rather that is to say my excellent hosts of the night did. They helped me look over the maps, discuss alternatives, and eventually set me on track to head to Walla Walla tomorrow and stay with friends of theirs. Doors close, windows open. It will be a longer and more mountainous ride tomorrow to Walla Walla than it would have been to Pendleton for sure. But it should be no harder than some other days I've had, and I know I can do it. And guess what? Taking this route means I'll be in Washington tomorrow night.
I can do this. I'm on the last leg of my journey. And I have new legs to do it on.









No comments:

Post a Comment