The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Good Company

Today was a wonderful, easy day. I knew I only had a short ways to go, with a place to stay awaiting me, so I slept in a little, there on my school track where I spent the night under the stars. I went to the visitor center/museum and had a very nice, long chat with the lady behind the desk about my adventure, Yellowstone, blow-in insulation, and all kinds of things. She was even nice enough to take my picture for me in what's apparently a popular position under a stuffed bobcat. Then I had a nice breakfast at the local bakery (rhubarb muffin!) and headed on out of Ten Sleep.

The road to Worland was a little rough with some long hills and some bad or vanishing shoulder. But with it being less than 30 miles and after climbing a mountain yesterday, it was nothing doing. It took no more than three hours. And there was some neat scenery on the way.

In Worland I hit up the local bike shop. I expressed some concerns about the state of my bike after 750 miles. But the lady took a quick look and basically said, eh, you're fine. She said the brake pads and tire could wear plenty more before needingreplaced, oiled up my chain, and gave me a nice Wyoming biking map with no charge to me.

From there I went to the park to burn some time before my host got off work. The wind turned fierce and it ended up pouring so far sideways I had to stay some ways into the shelter I was under to avoid getting wet. But it didn't last long. And what do you know, I discovered my host, Tajin works right next to the park I happened to take shelter in. He arrived on his bike, sat out the last of the rain with me while we made introductions, and then with a quick stop at the post office we headed to his place.

After some deliberation on supper, we ended up going out, and he incredibly generously paid for my meal. Two of his friends showed up at the diner, and then came back to his place with us. We all shared drinks and chatted, about journies, the Olympics, politics, ecology, the state of the world. It was really good. And somehow I managed to stumble upon a group of people with similar views on a lot of things. Tajin is a really impressive and generous fellow. There's going to be pancakes in the morning. I'm looking forward to it.

I best sleep. 90 miles to make tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment