The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Last Night in Maine

I again got around late this morning. I ate cereal for breakfast, tried to figure out what I was doing for the day, and still ended up leaving with no clue around 9. I had messaged a number of hosts, but none had gotten back to me, so I didn't know how far I was going or where I would stay.

It was cold and cloudy all day, and after my jacket came off, I actually put my winter gloves on, as my hands were going numb. I'm sure it looked ridiculous, but I have trouble keeping my hands warm and I was far more comfortable that way. I made my way down to Portland and took some time to explore. I followed the trail looping Back Cove. Then I jumped off to head to Old Port, went totally the wrong way and ended up at a park with a cool fountain. Then I navigated my way back to the Back Cove trail, took that up onto another trail along the ocean. I took a little look at Oldport. Then I biked over the bridge and out of the city proper. I again went the wrong way, and decided to make it worthwhile by seeing the Bug Light and getting a good glimpse of the city across the water, before heading on. I didn't want to leave the area, and lingered perhaps longer than I should have, partly to see stuff, and partly because I'd messaged someone around there and wanted to see if they'd get back. But eventually I decided I ought to start actually making some miles.

I was on Greenway most of the time. It took me on a scenic trail for awhile, with variable conditions, from dirt to rocky gravel, but well worth being away from the traffic and getting some lovely views.

As it grew late in the afternoon, I accepted I was going without a host and looked for camping. It all seemed crazy expensive. But then by chance, I realized the place I was right next to from the gas station I was stopped at was not only a saloon/biker bar/car show place, but also a campground. And it turned out they were a far more affordable $20+tax. I was sold. I was told I could pretty much pitch tent wherever wasn't an RV spot, and so I set myself up right next to the surprisingly nice, and surprisingly unused, bath house.

To my moderate dismay I discovered my chain is stretched after only 1300 miles. Seems like I should have replaced the cassette, as its wear is likely the reason the chain has gone more quickly. I'll have to change out both of them soon when I have the chance.

As a funny story, I was briefly convinced some animal was outside clawing at my tent, until I realized that it was in fact the blasted sign I have secured to the tent to indicate that I've paid to camp, twisting around in the wind.

With that concern dealt away and all other needs addressed, I best be off to sleep. Tomorrow morning I think I will hit the saloon for breakfast. I may have gotten by today without a single warm item of food, and not but bugles, trail mix, crackers and peanut butter for dinner. Here's hoping for no rain tonight.


































No comments:

Post a Comment