The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Sunday, May 21, 2017

A Road Well Routed

Today was somewhat unique for me in that my host last night took the time to impart his knowledge of the local roads and help me plot out my route for today, turn by turn, hill by hill, landmark by landmark. I don't think I've ever known what I had ahead of me in a day quite as much as I did today. It almost felt like having psychic powers how well I was able to predict what was ahead based on what we'd gone over.

I dragged myself out of bed around 7. My host made hash browns and scrambled duck eggs (my first time ever having them) for breakfast. We chatted for a bit, and then I was off around 8. It was cold, but knowing full well the big climb I had coming right away, I knew there was no point in dressing up. I'd be heating up real soon. I made it up and over the hill, probably the toughest of the day, especially for happening right away, and made my way to route 5.

I took a detour at Windsor to cross over the second longest covered bridge in the US, over the Connecticut River and into New Hampshire...then right back again and back to route 5. I stayed on it until I hit White River Junction. I did a little sightseeing there, then crossed over the river once more into New Hampshire. From there I followed 10, up a climb I had been of course forewarned of, then through Hanover and Dartmouth College. I hopped off 10 onto River Road to avoid a big climb. Even though the road said it was closed to through traffic, I knew thanks to my host that I could get through on bike. I saw a surprising number of bicyclists going both directions on the road, I think enjoying both its scenery and it being relatively car free with the road closure. It had a little gravel, which I had again been told, but nothing bad, generally a very nice road. From there it was all 10 to Haverhill.

At Haverhill, as instructed, I called my host to find out just where the heck I was going, because their road isn't on Google Maps. I got my directions and learned I had further to go than I had thought, up a lot of climbing, and mostly out of the way. But for a place inside, I wasn't complaining. I had made it most of the way on the highway toward the dirt road turn off, when suddenly a man in a car showed up and said I must be Eli. He explained he was my host, that he had misspoke on the number of turnoffs I would pass on the way up before getting there, and had decided he best come find me. He offered to take my bags up, and then upon loading them, asked if I just wanted to fit my bike in and get a ride. I said sure, and with the front wheel removed and some fenagling, we made it work. Considering the steep, dirt road we went up to get up here, I think it was a good choice.

My hosts are great. We talked about other guests, her time running organized tours, their early adventures in marriage in the military, and all sorts of things. She made an exceptional spaghetti dinner, complimented with beer. It was a truly wonderful evening.
























1 comment:

  1. Nice pics Eli on the way to our place. It's Ftiday 26th and it poured all last nite and this morning, like when you were here. Hlad you were inside!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete