The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Friday, May 12, 2017

Hitting Stride

Today was another 80 miles, plenty of hills, and a bit of a headwind for awhile, but I am happy to say it was much easier doing than yesterday. I woke a little before 7, dragged myself out of bed, and got treated to an excellent egg breakfast. I spent some more time chatting with my hosts before finally getting out the door a bit after 8.

Of course, the very start of the day was biking up the steep hill for which Mile Hill Road gets its name. ...I couldn't do it, and found myself walking up most of it. It seemed an inauspicious start yet again. But I am happy to say that was the only walking of my bike I found myself doing all day. There were tough hills, but nothing like yesterday. It was cold and cloudy all day and I found myself going back and forth between wanting a jacket and winter gloves going down, and nothing going up. I stuck to highway 22 and old 22 most the day (I made an oops and didn't get off 22 quite as soon as I was legally supposed to, when it went to 65mph, but there was plenty of shoulder and it turned out fine).

Google recommended another trail to me today. It looked like it would be scenic and while adding a few miles, it allowed avoiding a really steep hill, followed by even more lesser ones. It seemed a good route. But I felt so burned by the trail Google took me on yesterday that I didn't want to do it and passed it by. As I then took a break in anticipation of the big climb I had set myself up to do, a cyclist on a road bike came down it and stopped to see if I was okay. I told him I was preparing for the hill, and he told me about just how tough it would be. And then you know what he said? You guessed it. You can avoid the whole thing by taking the trail. I asked its conditions, and he told me that he did it on his road bike all the time, paved for much of it, and nice crushed limestone for the rest. He told me I should definitely get off at the next exit right before the hill and take the Lower Trail, and that I would thank him for it. Well, thanks Mr. Anonymous Road Cyclist. You were right. It was beautiful (most my pictures of the day came from my time along it), easy-going, and well worth a few extra miles for avoiding another steep climb.

After I got on highway 45 and followed that most the way to State College, with one more steep little hill before blissfully smooth sailing on mostly flat ground. I beat the rain I'd feared all day by a good margin. I arrived at the place, rang the doorbell, and then got a text that my host had her baby sleeping on her and that I would need to wait for her husband to be home shortly.  I was their first guest since having their baby in October.

They're great hosts. They've had plenty of touring experience, and have even done a Pan-American tour together. I had fun talking stories, and comparing some of their adventures and experiences doing the Pan-Am to that of Matt's, my store manager from the Bike Rack who also did that tour. I took special amusement from them mirroring his sentiment that the US coast was the most dangerous part of the whole trip. They're actually planning to tour again as soon as the baby's neck is developed enough for her to go along. They're quite the couple. It was a good night with good food, chocolate (it's their desert of choice, right after my own heart), and beer. I'm even indulging in a little TV right now before I drift off.

Here's hoping I don't get too soaked riding in the rain all day tomorrow.




















No comments:

Post a Comment