The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Kindness of Strangers

So, after spending the day before doing all kinds of nothing (primarily reading a book on my phone) on account of the rain (which ended around noon where I was, but persisted south of me), I was more than ready to get back on the road yesterday. Having more than 80 miles to go, and assuming I'd be camping at the end of it, I ate my lunchable I'd bought at K-Mart the night I got into town (which was not the joyous nostalgic meal out of childhood I was hoping for, but just...you know, a lunchable), and was out of the cabin by 6:30 while it wasn't terribly hot yet.

The disappointing thing about Lake Huron on the Michigan side, unlike Superior, unlike Michigan, is that most the lakefront is private property. So much of the time I think, man, I'd have such a pretty view of the lake if only all those houses weren't completely blocking it so just their owners can have pretty views of the lake. I was tired of that nonsense and not getting to see any scenery, so when I saw the turn off for Tawas Point, I just took it on a whim. It was a good 7 mile round trip, making today about 90 miles, but I needed it. Sadly I couldn't get into the lighthouse there, as it was closed and I would have had to pay even if it was open. But there was some nice Beach and good views and it sated my need for scenery.

...Of course after that I would come into Tawas City itself where there is actually an incredible view of the lake that I didn't have to do any detouring for. But ah well. I got angrily yelled at to ride on the sidewalk by some jerk in a stretch where the highway lost shoulder as a main road in town (my least favorite place to ride). I get it, I do. It's just such an inconvenience to be slowed down a little for a time in your vehicle where you assume minimal risk to yourself, get places really fast, and do it without effort. All because I'm a terrible person that refuses to ride on the sidewalk (legal here, but wisely illegal many places), because it greatly increases my risk of being hit by turning cars, isn't fair to pedestrians, and is often bumpy and unpleasant. I've always imagined that drivers should have lots of patience because they can get places with such ease and so fast, but no, it makes them even less patient because of their privelleged mentality. I remember a week ago when a car tried to pass me in a one lane construction zone where there was simply no room, wanting to endanger my life all because he couldn't wait the thirty seconds it took to get through it. I took the middle of the lane and sped up so he couldn't (because helmet mirrors are life savers), because he very likely would have hit me if he went through with it. I just don't understand drivers.

...Sometimes I don't understand Google Maps either. I followed its instructions today and it took me off on a side road, that turned into a dirt road, worn smooth, then past smooth into washboards in places, and with bugs swarming everywhere. The bugs were honestly the worst part. The silly thing of it was, I could have just followed the highway and turned off later on a perfectly paved road (the one I would later get on in its instructions), that likely would have been shorter because it runs at a bit of a diagonal. It was totally needless to be on that stretch of road. But hey, there was zero traffic on it. And some hippies (at the only house I think on that stretch, the rest just wooded bug breeding ground) told me to rock on as I passed...before calling back their dog that looked like he was coming for the kill.

I met a couple bike tourists coming the other way (along the diagonal road after the dirt nonsense). They stopped and we chatted awhile. They had just started today in Bay City (were delayed for the bad weather the last two days) and were biking around Lake Huron, taking the ferry at Manitoulin to skip the Georgian Bay. They were fun to talk to. They remarked I was at the home stretch of my trip while they were at the start, and I responded not quite. Not quite. After Niagara, then I'll be on the homestretch, and that's still a week away.

A text from Megan revealed to my surprised delight that I had hosting after all; her boyfriend was coming to town rather than the other way around. I got to her front step after a little sightseeing just as she and her friend arrived from doing some errands. Her building is amazing (as are a lot of the historic buildings in the neighborhood, including the church across the street). Her apartment complex was originally a townhouse, turned hotel. There's a lift in the center of the spiral staircase, an apartment currently closed for renovation that was once the hotel kitchen, recessed laundry racks in the laundry room, humorously outdated toilets, all kinds of treasures. Regrettably though, there was only one washer and dryer (coin-op) in the old school laundry room, being used, so no clean clothes for Eli. I changed into semi-dirty pants I'd worn a few days ago, and my undershirt as my shirt.

But I had a great time. We went and sampled cheese from two different factory outlets (both of which I had passed in the day, and it was surreal spending less than half an hour in a car to go hours backwards in time along the track of my day), doing lots of talking during the car ride. Then I sat in the car and did some phone research (in the ugly heat) while they bought groceries. Rachel went home afterward and shortly after Megan's boyfriend showed up (who I had been told was very excited to meet me and interested in my travels and the Couchsurfing experience). We ate an amazing tofu and Fettuccini pasta that Megan made and chatted while we ate. ...And at some point in the course of that chat, I guess I consented to an interview. I can't say I've ever been interviewed for anything but a job before, so it was a little different for me. A Not Your Father's Ginger Ale helped my nerves as he pressed record on his phone and he and Megan launched into asking me questions on touring and surfing, the sort I probably get asked by someone just about every day anyways, just more in depth. Megan's boyfriend programs software for Chrysler as his day job, but he has all kinds of hobbies, including playing extras in movies and doing stand up comedy, and doing a podcast is one of them. I was less nervous than I thought I would be, and may have even enjoyed it. Afterwards we talked normally some more (while I devoured a pint of coconut ice cream left by a vegan couchsurfer who had been their previously), and by the time we finished it was nearly 11 and past time for sleep.























No comments:

Post a Comment