The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Around the Thumb

Megan and her boyfriend were still fast asleep when I woke up this morning, even though it was late by my standards. But she had said to avail myself to the food in the kitchen the night before, and I made myself a nice breakfast. I managed to negotiate getting my bags through the doors and down the flights, did a little bike maintenance, mainly tightening my brakes, I should have done before, did some clever propping to get my bike out the door of the basement, then was finally on my way by around 8.

Once I was out of the city, I found myself flying along through farmland, holding about 16mph and riding the high of going such speed. ...Even though while not touring that's a fairly recreational pace. I was in love with the ride, in love with the world, back to that feeling I'd lost for a time in the routine. After taking a picture of a lone egret, I suddenly startled a whole flock or them up into the air in all directions, and I laughed at the beauty of the sight (which as with all the best of them, I couldn't get a picture of).  ...It didn't last, not the speed or the high, but all good things must come to an end.

I was soon back to the coast, but again, with private property and trees blocking sight of it at almost all times. Though I had some entertainment in coming to Sebewaing and seeing people gathered all along the main run through town in anticipation of the parade for their Sugar Festival (I'd been told every little town in Michigan has its own festival; Bay Port just ahead had a fish sandwich one). I saw the constituents lined up about town, but hightailed it out before the actual parade began. It wasn't until Caseville where the private land problem changed. I stopped at the public beach there to soak in the sight of people happily playing in the sand. Some people started inquiring the usual questions of me, and I remarked on how the beach front is all private along Huron, unlike with Lake Michigan. One of them said it was different in the thumb. She was right. Up ahead I saw more and more public beaches (though still plenty private) and had far less obstruction of my view of the lake.

I stopped often, more than I probably should have. I took a decent detour into Port Crescent. I took lunch in Port Austin. I got off the highway for a while to stay as close to the lake as possible and stopped at Grind Stone. I went to the Pointe Aux Barques lighthouse (where I was disappointed I couldn't climb up the tower), and got questioned by a biker dude and his wife (he thought I was weird as hell, but was quite polite about it).

Before I at last arrived at Port Hope for the night. My host is a very nice older gentleman who lives in an extremely beautiful, historic house built by his great grandfather in the days when lumber was booming. We sat and chatted about all manner of things (after I finished my bike maintenance, which he watched). He didn't know what to do with me being a vegetarian, being from a meat and potatoes part of the country. But he left me some cheese, cauliflower, and carrots to cook up while he went to trivia night at the local depot, and I ate well enough. Most importantly, I got laundry done! I have clean clothes again! He got back and went to bed while I was finishing up my late night shower. Now it's sleep time for me too.



























No comments:

Post a Comment