The Donation Button Some People Asked For

If anyone wants to donate to this venture and me posting about it, they can do so here

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Reuniting with 101

It seems fitting that at last, with things having generally gotten more difficult since splitting off onto 1 near Leggett, that for my final, hopefully easy stretch, 1 remerged with 101 about halfway through my ride today, right at the point I came down from my last big climb. It was up to 1000 feet, but thankfully was a gradual climb, though with a far steeper downhill that was enjoyable to do. From there it was mostly flat the whole way, the short 50 miles of the day. I didn't get started until after 8:30, and even with a stop at the rest stop midway through to munch on the cereal I've been carrying since the start of my trip, I arrived by 3.

If only I didn't find myself with my first flat of the entire trip as I arrived at my destination. A staple, another damn staple... Cursed urban areas. Thankfully it was at the end of my short day and I had plenty of time to mess with it. I decided to patch it, and it seems to be holding. The problem is that it was my back tire, which seems just a little big for my wheel, and I just can't reseat the tire quite right. I remember the bike shop guy had all kinds of trouble with that when he put it on for me too. I don't know. I just can't care anymore.

I'm going to sit here with my beer next to this bonfire with my interesting hippie host, two PHD guests, and other corporate couchsurfer who has his own bike touring experience. It's an interesting mix. The wind is raging, just lifted this picnic umbrella briefly from its stand, the fire rising a little high for my tastes, I'm seated at a picnic table outside in a large eclectic garden with everything from citrus to corn to aloe my host gave me to squeeze on my burns fresh from the plant, and will be sleeping on an "outdoor couch" tonight I have yet to actually see. I'm tired. This should seem like a really fun, fitting California Couch surfing experience, and yet my mind isn't here, it's 40 miles ahead to tomorrow, and 60 miles to the end from there. I have two more days, and they should be simple, but my unexpected flat at the end of the day, a minor issue, an inevitable problem on tours that I had been really lucky to avoid so far, has made me realize I've just lost all my patience for mechanical issues. And that's simply no place to be at mentally when touring. Hopefully tomorrow morning I will get back on the bike and everything will seem right again.











No comments:

Post a Comment